Senator
Senator
Custom Title: Politician
Organizational Unit: Rebel Alliance Political Party

Sparring (OPEN)

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2014-05-06 16:16

THE GRAND GARANG IMPERIAL BASE
DANTOOINE

Jubar fired the last shot from his VUL-9, then replaced the old power pak with a full one and stuck it in his side holster. He practiced drawing it a few times, using what he’d learned the Handgun Combatives class, which taught him how to draw the weapon properly and quickly. It had taught him proper stance when firing, and now he’d just finished working on moving targets.

He looked over his shoulder at his instructor. “How’d I do?”

“See for yourself.” The instructor tapped a switch and brought the target in, revealing a not-too-great score. Jubar had hit most of his shots on the upper torso, as he’d planned, but only one shot came near perfect center mass.

“Well, at least I didn’t miss half of them like last time.”

“You’re improving,” the instructor allowed. “You just have to learn to relax your shoulders more when you fire. You’re still very tense, like you expect it to blow up in your hand. But don’t be too hard on yourself. The VUL-9s are very new. They’re lightweight, and more than a few new recruits are taken off-guard when handling them—they expect them to be as hefty as a DL or otherwise.”

Jubar sighed heavily. “I’m still getting used to all this. Can you keep a secret? I’m not actually a violent man. Not historically, anyway. But I’ve made some changes.”

“Yeah,” the instructor chuckled. “I reckon getting kidnapped will do that to you.”

Jubar left the Firearms Compound and made his way over to the sparring yard.

As Jubar stepped inside the main sparring room, he was struck by the number of soldiers, all in far superior shape to himself. He had done a lot to get himself in better shape, since his regular hormonal injections and Isk Maega exercises weren’t going to be enough to help his body fight the mysterious and rare Naranger’s disease, but he had to come to terms with the fact that he would probably never be quite as impressive in body as the soldiers sparring all around him.

Still, strength wasn’t everything. He’d been working on his speed with his assassin droid and personal bodyguard Thirty-Seven. They had been working on Teras Kasi, as well as the A’den Fighting System, a specialized system that had been developed right here at the GGIB and was being passed down to all the new recruits.

“Are you sure about this, Master?” asked Thirty-Seven as he started into the sparring corner of the massive room. “You’ve never sparred anyone besides me.”

“That’s exactly why I need this,” Jubar said. “I can’t just train with an assassin droid all the time, now can I? I need to get my hands dirty with a real live breathing human being. I need to see what kind of different tactics they’ve got, watch how they move, and get a sense of how they feel when we’re grappling or striking.”

He sighed, and waited at the side of the room for a challenger…

Ciara
Attaché
Attaché

Re: Sparring (OPEN)

Post by Ciara » 2014-05-07 15:44

"A spar? I don't know... I just came down here to calibrate my targeting systems. Perhaps once I have established working parameters within expected margins", Ciara said to the droid who had just informed her that another trainee next doors was looking for a duel.

"Usually I don't use firearms", she finished. But this time she was packing two X-30 "Lancer" sporting blasters. The long-barreled, thin sidearm didn't pack the grenade-like punch of heavy pistols, but sporting blasters like this offered the most accuracy you could find in a handgun, which was what she was looking for today. The version she carried was also heavily modified and could probably rival some of the heavy blasters on the market. The X-30 Lancer was a smaller and more compact version of the Drearian Defense Conglomerate "Defender" sporting blaster, but had an overconcentrated beam that extended range even further.

She lifted both pistols simultanously and fired five shots in rapid succession from each blaster down range. The holographic target then zoomed in to display her results as she lifted them up and clicked the safety back on - 5 centimeters to the left and 3 centimeters low with her left pistol, 4 centimeters left and 2 centimeters low with her right. The only notable thing was that there was only two marks on the target - either she had fired each five shot salvo in the same hole, or she had missed with eight.

"Calibration required. Input data assimilated and compensated. Adjustment complete. New calibration test initialized", she stated and lowered her weapons, fired another rapid succession of five shots each. The target now displayed a single mark, dead centre.

"Operation within acceptable parameters", she noted. "Marginal adjustments for vectored air speed, ambient temperature and relative moisture not required. Calibration complete."

"Does that mean you're available for a spar?", the droid asked again.

"I don't know. I never spar? Training is... I don't train. I suppose I could go talk to whoever is waiting. Perhaps there is something I can learn."

"Great, I'll let him know you're coming", the droid added helpfully, as if that was needed since Ciara could just walk next doors. But these droids were programmed to be overly helpful for a reason, she supposed.

Senator Jubar Heern Bavvet. Male human, 1855.4 mm tall, age 35, born on Corellia. Genetic disorder Naranger's Disease, recovered, she registered. He didn't strike her as the first kind of person who would train in physical combat, especially since he had a Duwani HK-series assassin/protocol droid in his entourage, she noted.

"Hello", she greeted him plainly. "What brings a Senator like you to a place like this?"

It was a nonsense question really, obviously he was dressed and ready to train physically. But Ciara had found that humans like to make small talk like this to break the ice and let them present their ways in their own words was part of getting to know people, apparently.
Last edited by Ciara on 2014-05-08 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2014-05-08 01:00

Jubar looked the woman up and down. He blinked. It took him a moment to realize they had met before. Briefly, and over only over a HoloNet connection, but they had indeed met…just before he’d been sent off to the Morath Nebula to meet with the real Emperor, the One True Emperor, where he’d received the bombshell that the Emperor currently presiding over the Federation was a clone.

Was this a trick, meeting her again like this? Did this woman know about the One True Emperor’s predicament, or was she totally oblivious to the fact that the message she had given him the first time had, in fact, led him to be a part of a galaxy-spanning conspiracy? A conspiracy, incidentally, that even now Jubar was helping to come to fruition.

“I’m…er…we’ve met before,” he fought to get out. “Remember? Just before I went to—”

“To meet with the Emperor,” she finished for him. “Yes, I recall, Senator. How did that meeting go, by the way?”

Jubar thought for a moment. “Not the way I expected,” he answered honestly.

“For better or worse?” she said, quite bubbly.

“Not exactly sure yet. I’ll let you know when I know.” He gave her one more look of appraisal, then, said, “Are you, uh…are you up for a little sparring?”

“No. I mostly came to watch. And perhaps learn.”

Jubar chuckled. “You’re not likely to learn a whole lot watching me, but…well, I can’t exactly do much without a challenger. I’ve been training with my droid over there. He’s great at taking it easy on me, but I need to lay my hands on someone made of flesh and blood. Not everybody has such rigid joints and plates for skin, you know.”

“What skills are you hoping to work on today?”

“I don’t know. I was hoping that whoever showed up today could teach me a little something. I fully anticipate getting my tail handed to me. At least, I hope I do. I’m not learning anything if I’m the best fighter in the room—and may the Force save the Empire if I’m the best one in here.” He looked at the pistol strapped to her side. “That a Lancer you’re packing there? You working on your shooting skills today? If so, maybe we could make a little exchange. You give me some tips on shooting to help me out, and I’ll show you some basic self-defense stuff?”

Ciara
Attaché
Attaché

Post by Ciara » 2014-05-08 08:43

"Oh, I doubt the way I shoot translates very well for you", Ciara said with a pout, putting her index finger up to rest on her chin. "But maybe there is something I can impart", she added with a shine. "I'm going to assume that, since you already own a firearm", she said with a sweeping gesture in the general direction of Jubar's VUL-9, "you've already been over safety and maintenance, because those are things you cover before you start shooting at all."

"Well yes."

"All right", she nodded. "Please don't mind if I cover something you already know", she said as she walked over to the shooting lane Jubar used previously, unholstered her right Lancer and stood with it down her side. "You have some martial arts training, so you know the value of stances. The classic in unarmed combat involves three, but I'm just going to demonstrate one for standing position now. It may not be optimal for your requirements, but the basics are similar even in other stances. Also, I'm going to teach you not how to stand in a lane and shoot at targets, but a technique used for combat."

That last bit had Jubar raising his eyebrows slightly, but since she didn't know what he ment exactly with his body language, she just noted it for now. Perhaps it would become clear later.

"First, your grip should be firm but obviously not so firm that your hand becomes cramped. You keep your finger off the trigger until you intend to fire. Your stance for firing is to keep your feet shoulder width apart, angling your main foot outward at approximately thirty-five to forty-five degrees away from your body, then put the off-foot a third of a step to a half step ahead of the main foot", she demonstrated and slid her foot forward. "Your weight is distributed sixty-five per cent forward at an angle of thirteen to sixteen degrees with knees bent in ten to twelve degrees, putting your head forty-five to fifty-five per cent forward. Shoulders are kept just ahead of your hips."

She looked at Jubar at the same time as she was going over her motions, which looked slightly awkward since most humans would be paying attention at what they were doing. "You lift your firearm with the off hand supporting the main hand, with thumbs aligned. You keep your arms straight, forming a triangle. Look down the barrel to aim", she said and turned her head to follow her own instructions. "Breath should be steady and held evenly when you prepare to fire. The key is to be firm but not forced. You may want to take several deep breaths to mentally prepare yourself to hold steady for 10 or 20 seconds. Keep your grip firm and only change pressure on the trigger."

She fired. Exactly four seconds between shots for twenty seconds, five shots in total. There was something surreal about her actions, but Jubar couldn't quite put his finger on it until he realized that everyone had tics that they displayed when shooting - narrowing eyes just before pulling the trigger, unconsciously or semi-consciously slightly flinch in anticipation of the flash and recoil, or just tense slightly. The young woman had none of it, and fired her shots with perfect, unemotional mechanical precision, not altering her position at all aside from the four-second recoil adjustments between shots, and even then she only moved her hands and arms ever so slightly.

The holographic target lit up and zoomed in as she relaxed her stance, put the safety back on and retired her firearm to her hip. Five shots were registered, but there was only one blast hole, dead centre.

"Individual adjustments may be required", Ciara finished her brief lesson. "Would you like to try it, Senator Bavvet?"

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2014-05-14 00:50

"All good information," Jubar said, taking his spot beside the woman and getting ready to take aim with his VUL-9. A few tense seconds passed while he rooting himself in proper stance. He took a deep breath, let it out slowly, and applied everything she had just said. The first few shots were the same as his last try--all around the torso, but only one hitting perfectly center-mass. He tried again, and this time he was able to get a tighter grouping at the center of the target's chest.

"Not bad," said Ciara.

"Heh, yeah. Thanks for that." He looked at her, then down at her weapon. "Get much use out of that blaster? I mean...I guess it's kind of an awkward question, and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to, but have you ever had to use it?"

Ciara
Attaché
Attaché

Post by Ciara » 2014-05-14 09:58

"I was sent on a ground mission once. But I believe that what you are asking is if I ever had to use this in self-defence? Then the answer is no. I'm also charged with the Emperor's safety, but aside from a classified number of Royal Guards, the Emperor usually takes matters of personal security into his own hands. To be perfectly honest, I fell rather inadequate in this role of mine. That's why I'm down here... calibrating my weapons", Ciara said in a soft but solemn tone. "If anything I'm the porter, who keeps the little daily details away from his work. I feel more satisfied with my other work."

Jubar was still taking all this in as he asked a follow-up question: "What other work do you have?"

"Oh, I co-ordinate and translate the Emperor's communications and communique's, schedule meetings and assign people to various tasks. I run project management and organization. Not just for the Emperor personally, but everything inter-IMEXCO related. Important people like the supreme Commander and the Supreme Chancellor have their own secretaries and their secretaries have their own secretaries and so on. He has people for everything. I just organize them so that he doesn't have to", she answered, back to her usually cheerful tone.

"Back to you, Senator. I think it is wise of you to invest in self-defense training. Aside from the obvious fact that a public figure like you attracts enemies, something you can hire bodyguards for", she paused briefly to glance at Thirty-Seven, "the training gives you mental fortitude and keeps your body in healthy trim. But erh, although I have... martial arts knowledge, I'm probably not a good opponent for you."

"You may be right", Jubar replied, "but I'm guessing you're much more skilled than I am, which would make you a qualified instructor. Of course, I respect if you don't want to, but it strikes me as odd, given that you have the skills and from what you're telling me and what I can see, you are also good with interpersonal skills, which would make you a good teacher."

"Well yes, all true. But... how should I put this? I'm, ah, enhanced, and I don't have any experience with tutoring. I suppose I could... not use everything I have at my disposal, but I'm not sure how useful I could be for you. It may also be a little difficult for me to judge what would be a suitable level of... force. Still, if your think you have any gains to be made from ah, sparring with me, I still have the day off and nothing better to do right now."