Moderator: S.T.A.R.S.

Forum rules
Post your character's training efforts.

Dev Fenris
High Admiral
High Admiral

Starship Combat and Tactics Symposium

Post by Dev Fenris » 2009-03-28 19:03

"And so without further introduction, Second Fleet Admiral, Dev Fenris." Dev's podium rose, hovering in the center of the room, much like the Senate chamber of old. All around the room, he was met with the faces of up and coming Naval Officers, various Senior officers and members of the newly joined Remnant. The purpose today was to teach new officers the basics of commanding a Capitol ship, basic Starship Tactics and the basics of Fleet operations.

"They say the best way to hold an audiences attention, is to start with a clever and amusing anecdote. Something to keep you focused on my words, so that you will be more receptive to the speaker. So allow me to begin. Ten years ago I sat where all of you are, the greenest of the green. My roomate, a man named Terris Koff, sat beside me, his datapad in his lap, his eyes scouring the room for a little after school interaction with the opposite sex." A hushed laugh rolled through the room, and Fenris paused for effect. "The lecturer stepped forward, much as I have today, and having been handed the same advice about capturing the attention of the crowd, spewed some tale of Hutts and Quarrens and their correlation with the aroma and viscosity of the female anatomy. The exact wording has long since faded from my memory. Terris could recite it word for word as I recall, bringing it up every day or so for a month. If there was a social gathering, Terris was prepared, armed to the teeth with his tale of degredation and smut."

Fenris scanned the room, he had captured the attention of a few more faces. There were those who still felt this was perhaps a waste of their time.

"So to make a long story short, Terris and I graduated and went our seperate ways. He had the honor to serve aboard the Frigate Griffon, serving under the very same speaker we learned from at our first Symposium. Five days out, they were attacked by Republicans after a miscalculated jump. As I was told, someone failed to run a diagnostic on the shields, resulting in the demise of the vessel and all hands. Terris was serving as the chief engineer."

"So the only advice I can give right now is this. Either you listen to what your instructors tell you, learn it, practice it and use it, or ignore it and perish . The lives of those seated around you will depend on it. If all you want to learn is jokes, do us all a favor, leave now, get on the holo-circuit or better yet, join the Republicans. I am here to teach you to kill, not die."

He paused for a moment, then touched his datapad, which then activated all the other datapads in the room.

"Lesson one, Starship command basics."

Dev Fenris
High Admiral
High Admiral

Re: Starship Combat and Tactics Symposium

Post by Dev Fenris » 2009-03-30 06:46

"As an Admiral of the NIF, I have had the privalege to command a vast variety of vessels ranging from the gunship, thru the Destroyer and including the Sovereign-class Super Star Dreadnaught which is now my flagship. " Fenris smiled as the image of the Annihilation filled the holoprojector. "What has made this possible is the simplicity that we as an Empire have made it to do."

He tapped a key and a bridge of a Star Destroyer was projected. "Daunting isn't it? Only if you allow it to be. No, the key to commanding any capitol vessel is relying on those around you. For the most part, as a Captain of any vessel while out of spacedock you will be running in one of two modes. The first is patrol mode, a passive state where your vessel will be ready for battle if needed, but mostly spent training, and guarding the assets of our Federation. Your job here as Captain will be to insure that training is progressing, that your systems are optimal, that your vessel is prepared for any contingancy. You will be deluged with computer work, hours of mind numbing requistions, ranging from parts, to uniforms, to sports equipment to keep your crew entertained." A dry laugh eminated over the masses. "This is the only time I will say your job is tedious."

"The second mode is combat mode. This is why you are here. To remove the air of mystery surrounding this phase of your command. Let us look back to the bridge. In combat, from this room, or one quite similar, you will command tens, to hundreds, to thousands of men. My own ship has a crew of six hundred and five thousand, seven hundred and forty five. To control a crew of this size, and coordinate the functions of this fifteen hundred meter vessel, while controlling four hundred plus vessels while engaging the enemy may seem a daunting task. But to do just that you need to relay on the eighteen men in the pit below your feet."

"During combat, your crew will consist of your Executive officer, who more than likely be in the pit, or if the bridge is smaller by your side. He will insure your orders are being carried out, leaving you to focus on the tactical information coming in. Next, your command operations officer oversees the ships integrity, rerouting power and insuring your vessel doesn't perish from within. These two men are your eyes and ears, one for your primary crew, the other for your ship. They in turn watch over your shield operations officer, your weapons control officer, your communications officer, your commscan officer, your hyperdrive control officer, your flight control officer, and finally your engineering officer. Depending on the vessels size, your crew may have one shield control officer for each side of the vessel, a weapons officer in each pit, an officer controlling your tractor beam, an ISIS overseer, and even a chief medical officer stationed on the bridge. Sounds overwhelming?"

Fenris changed the image to a vessels bridge racing out of hyperspace. "So here we are, about to engage the enemy. In this scenario, we are a single vessel, about to scout a potential advesary. Right now, your hyperdrive officer, or on smaller ships, the navicomputer is bringing you into an engagement. At this point, you will have ordered shields raised, your weapons officer to prepare all batteries, and your comscan officer to give you a reading of the location before you. Your ship departs hyperspace, so now your hyperdrive control officer should be working up escape solutions. If your working with a navicomputer, the droid slavecontrol will do this automatically, but it will be limited to preprogrammed choices. "

"The Commscan officer reports a single vessel on an intercept course. You should order your comm officer for a transponder reading, though in time, he will merely feed the data to your station. He will scan for any communications with the target vessel, and report them to you directly. Your shield officer should be ordered to redirect shields to the necessary locations of your vessel, and your weapons officer should be feeding targeting solutions to the various batteries. If your vessel has fighters, you may wish to deploy them at this time, maintaining a defensive posture, unless hostile actions are enacted, or if your orders are to engage."

"Questions so far? We are only two minutes into the engagement, so ask them now."

Dev Fenris
High Admiral
High Admiral

Post by Dev Fenris » 2009-03-31 18:06

A silent pause passes, with everyone either focused or bored by the lecture. Thrawns - hand allows the silence to linger then continues.

"By now, com scan has detected whether your target is friendly or hostile. He will do this through the detection of the transponder code, or jamming. He may read raised shields, detect weapons powering up through heat signatures or barrel redirection, engines powering up, hyperdrives engaging, or communications being transmitted to your vessel or unknowns. You must always assume you are dealing with a hostile."

"At this point, unless your dealing with an unknown hostile, your commscan operator will have a detailed work up of your target. With that information you can establish the best tactics for dealing with your enemy. No two vessels are approached the same, and even then, the skill of the other vessels captain and crew will be instrumental in plotting your next action. Tactics however, will be discussed later in this lesson. For now, lets focus on the basics. You have your target, your shields are raised, your weapons hot, and an escape solution plotted. Don't ever underestimate what lies before you. The first Death Star was destroyed by a single snub fighter because of arrogance and understimating the pilot who flew it. Millions of Imperials paid for that lack of foresight."

He paused briefly to let it sink in. Sure that was a one in a billion chance, but it did happen. Twice.

"Any questions before we continue?"

Dev Fenris
High Admiral
High Admiral

Post by Dev Fenris » 2009-04-21 17:53

"So now, how do we decide our best course of action? Well that is determined by your vessel type. As we are dealing with capitol vessels, we can forgo the idea that you will need to run from any type of starfighter. Starfighters, for the most part are a mild annoyance to any ship considered a cap. If a single starfighter poses a threat, then you are either running a crippled vessel, or are commanding a freighter."

"So, the vessels we use serve a few distinct roles. Picket ships which serve as a starfighter screen, support ships, such as carriers and frigates, which alone are an easy match for a single fighter, cruisers, which can be used to block hyperspace routes, and destroyers or ships larger than our Star Destroyers which are more than a match for some fleets.
Depending on whether you are operating alone, as part of a battle group, or planetary defense can affect your actions, but overall you are left with a single course. Engage the enemy."

"Where you attack is just as important as how you attack. You need to locate your enemies weak point and begin with your long range weapons. Most capitol ships are shielded, have heavier armor where there is less weaponary, and more where the command bridge lies. In any case, the strongest attack you could make would be at the enemies rear against her engines. That's the ideal strike point. But only a fool will offer you that target for any length of time. If your advesary wishes to survive, he will turn to engage, or run to flee. Fleeing leaves you exposed so facing off is the enemies best option."