Runner-class Assailant Monitor

Imperial Department of Military Research.

Moderator: IDOMIR

Forum rules
Imperial Department of Military Research

For instructions on entering a project in the Imperial Department of Military Research, click here.

Designation: What your completed design will be called. This is not necessarily your project name. (for example, Project "Twin Ion Engine" may produce a design with the designation "TIE Fighter")

Purpose: State the purpose of what you are designing, why it should be designed, why you are designing it.

Application: State how your design is used.

Schedule: In Star Wars time, how long it will take to design. You may create the finished project the next minute in real life, however it may take longer to actually design it. The average schedule is from 1 week to 2 months. If you wish, you can reply to this message with a description of your progress on different days/weeks (based on your schedule) leading up to your prototype completion. When you are ready, reply again with all of the information on the prototype. This should be posted as a reply to the original message, and contain the following information:

Visual Description: Simply describe what the prototype looks like. A picture is appreciated but not required (except for vehicles, fighters and capital ships).

Technical Specifications: State all of the properties of your design, for example, if it is a fighter you should include its speed (MGLT), hull rating (RU), shield rating (SBD), weapons, etc. Also, if at all possible, indicate the Star Wars technology used in the prototype and for what purpose.

Weaknesses: Realistically, every design should have some.

Projected Upgrades: Self-explanatory. You have to ability to reply to this topic as many times as you wish to upgrade your design. Always reply, only one topic per project.
Demetrios Gavril
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Custom Title: The Strategist
Organizational Unit: 3rd Fleet, C-84 Attack Line, The 'Focus'

Runner-class Assailant Monitor

Post by Demetrios Gavril » 2012-02-10 21:49

Designation: Runner-class Assailant Monitor (named after Rav Runner)

Purpose: To provide the Federation with a more capable and stealthy monitor

Application: A Monitor that will be able to effectively engage frigates and harass cruisers while receiving little damage in return fire.

Schedule: 1 Month

Visual Description:
Technical Specifications:

Name/Type: Runner-class Assailant Monitor (RAM)
Designer/Manufacturer: Demetrios Gavril/Mandalaran Space Force/Kuat Drive Yards
Designation: Monitor
Crew: 150 + 20 gunners
Length: 220 Meters
Speed: 90 MGLT, 950 Kph
Hyperdrive: x1
Shield Rating: 3,000 SBD
Hull Rating: 3,000 RU
Weapons: 2 Advanced General Purpose Octet Mass Drivers, 3 Dual Turbolaser Cannons, 10 RH8 laser cannons
Fighter Complement: None.
Troops: None
Support Craft: None.
Special: Darkened Bronzium Armor, Ion Engine Baffle Dispersion System, Sensor Shroud, Reinforced Ramming Prow, Triple-Redundant Shields

The Assailant Monitor was developed jointly by Demetrios Gavril and Kuat Drive Yards. The RAM was developed to be a predatory ship, capable of lurking through the battlefield and wreaking havoc. Its stealth systems render it hard to detect. With a hull of bronzium and a reinforced prow this ship has real ramming capabilities. Triple-redundant shields, a design borrowed from Mon Calamari vessels, allow the ship to receive heavy punishment without damage to the hull. A third of the crew is composed of droids. The two mass drivers, however, are the Assailant's real pride. Capable of firing virtually any type of projectile, the mass drivers also can penetrate ray shields when firing solid rounds.

Pros:
1) Bronzium Armour: The outer hull of the Monitor is constructed entirely of Bronzium armour, rendering it very strong and able to take severe punishment.
2) Stealth: The many stealth systems installed on this ship allow it to run around in the midst of the battle without getting much attention from sensors.
3) Fast: Its high speed enables it to close or retreat quickly.

Cons:
1) Expensive: The bronzium and the stealth systems are costly
2) Small: While powerful, this ship is very small and can be overwhelmed by the firepower of heavy cruisers after a time.
Last edited by Demetrios Gavril on 2012-04-05 05:26, edited 4 times in total.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Re: Runner-class Assailant Monitor

Post by Tavish McFini » 2012-02-11 05:00

I think "expensive" is an understatement. I think this ship would fall under the grouping of "prohibitively expensive".

An entire ship built of mando iron? I won't even begin to say why this would be impractical. We might as well try to revive a project to start laminating metals with the material used to build the Sun Crusher, lol.

Wraith cannons are also expensive... As would be the bonded stealth coating. In short, this ship is simply a credit sink. I dare say for the cost of this ship, we could build a Star Destroyer and still have the credits left over to give it TIEs, vehicles, troops, weapons and everything else they normally come with and pay the salaries of the crew for 20 years to come.
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Demetrios Gavril
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Demetrios Gavril » 2012-02-11 05:04

Yet somehow we manage to coat the entire surface of the Nemesis with stygium.

Edit: removed the beskar armor and replaced with bronzium. Lowered the RU to a reasonable level.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2012-02-11 05:11

Correction: depleted stygium.

I'm not here to justify doing that but frankly, it's the flagship of the NIF so why not give it the best we can possibly provide?

Another thing to consider: this ship would set a bad prescient since it has the hull strength to challenge cruisers even. And because it's a monitor, it's going to be a woefully overpowered monitor that Ensigns can command. Ignoring the idea that we could restrict its usage, I still don't see justification to actually expend the resources to build any of these ships over cruisers. Sure, for its size, we're getting the best we can possibly get, but then we'd still need transports and what not to take over planets... I'd rather build a Star Destroyer and use its versatility over one of these. But that's just me.
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Demetrios Gavril
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Demetrios Gavril » 2012-02-11 05:19

Well the purpose of this is to be a small ship precisely so that it doesn't draw the same attention as a star destroyer and can run around unnoticed destroying ships. I lowered the hull strength btw, so it's at 3,000 RU, which seems reasonable to me since it's only twice that of the Wraith-Monitor. The Wraith Cannons are expensive, but not incredibly so. Without the beskar ore it's much less expensive. I'd say as expensive as a heavy frigate or medium frigate.

I don't think that debating over whether or not ensigns will be able to command powerful ships should factor into this discussion. I'm here to present and debate about a warship, any other extenuating circumstances should be dealt with after the primary discussion has concluded as they relate to an entirely different issue. (at least in my opinion).

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2012-02-11 05:44

This ship is still going to be frighteningly expensive... How many Wraith class monitors do we have in service?

But, technically, I guess there's really nothing wrong with the ship so I'll hand it over to another mod for comments. Cheers!

Demetrios Gavril
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Demetrios Gavril » 2012-02-11 06:01

We have about thirty in service.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2012-02-11 14:20

I'm going to admit, that's more than I previously thought :lol:

Something I thought of earlier this morning... This ship only has, essentially, 5 weapons and 10 point-defense guns for a 220 meter long chassis. I presume most of the space is taken up by powerful engines that are able to give this vessel the 70 MGLT speed? Or does the ramming prow take up the whole front end of the ship :lol: (they really need a "dies laughing" emote)

Also, this ship reminds me a lot of the Halcyon-class Frigate (which, as an aside, I can only find in Fourth Fleet now... Are they that dated?) I bring that up because I always enjoy references to the smaller details like the cramped conditions. On the plus side, that could mean increased survivability for the crew, especially if it goes ramming into something like, say, the bridge of the Int Nemesis :D (Down with the false Emperor!!! ;) )

Demetrios Gavril
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Demetrios Gavril » 2012-02-19 04:16

Yes, most of the room is taken up by the engines as you can see in the photo. That said, the two forward weapons are more than enough to take down larger captial ships, especially given the ability of the monitor to fire ray shield-piercing rounds and missiles from the mass drivers.

The Halycon is nowhere near this powerful and it isn't stealthed, i know weren't trying to say that it was, but I'm just stating the facts for the record.

Kurge
Freelancer
Custom Title: Employee of Luciana Endivain
Organizational Unit: SIN

Post by Kurge » 2012-03-21 03:54

I am Tyr and I approve this Project!

Tom Saint
Lead Designer
Lead Designer
Organizational Unit: Moonrider, RDOP1

Post by Tom Saint » 2012-03-23 02:18

I wouldn't approve it yet, several of its special equipment items are mutually exclusive:
Bronzium Armor + armor bonded stealth coating,
tight beam engines+ ion engine baffle dispersion system

Just think about it, one coating on top of another, well you're only going to get the effect of the surface coat. The engine stealths are even more self-explanitory, you can't have a tight and dispersed stream of anything.
Demetrios Gavril wrote:Edit: removed the beskar armor and replaced with bronzium. Lowered the RU to a reasonable level.
Tavish McFini wrote:Wraith cannons are also expensive... As would be the bonded stealth coating. In short, this ship is simply a credit sink. I dare say for the cost of this ship, we could build a Star Destroyer and still have the credits left over to give it TIEs, vehicles, troops, weapons and everything else they normally come with and pay the salaries of the crew for 20 years to come.
Bronzium is still a valuable metal and so is going to needlessly add to the ship's cost(http://www.nifrpg.net/irm/mods/stealth_ ... zium.shtml). As a side note the Runner's stealth systems alone(depending on the final assortment with regards to the above issue) will add up to 182.6 million credits (http://www.nifrpg.net/database/stealth_ ... _calcs.xls). Compared to the cost of building an unstealthed version which is 220^3 = 10.6 million..

I also don't understand the use of Wraith cannons or the apparent emphasis on ramming. As to Wraith cannons: What's the advantage in firing invisible bolts from a ship that's not? Ramming: No matter how well armored the ship is, ramming is going to peel off that expensive stealth coating and damage/ruin the two forward guns.
Demetrios Gavril wrote:1) Bronzium Armour: The outer hull of the Erebos is constructed entirely of Bronzium armour, rendering it very strong and able to take severe punishment.
2) Stealth: The many stealth systems installed on this ship allow it to run around in the midst of the battle without getting much attention from sensors.
3) Fast: Its high speed enables it to close or retreat quickly.
Cons:1) Expensive: The beskar and the stealth systems are costly
2) Small: While powerful, this ship is very small and can be overwhelmed by the firepower of heavy cruisers after a time.
3) Cramped: Due to the large engine size and complicated systems shoved into this vessel there is very little room to move.
It is stealthy..but not to the point that it can loaf carefree through the battlespace
70 MGLT isn't really fast anymore. Most of the newer ship designs in this size region are also 70 or better, even heavy and large cruisers make 70.
A capship packed to the point the crew can barely move? Aside from atrocious damage control capabilities, crews are going to absolutely despise serving on these vessels.
“If scientists were breaking old ground we’d all have Bubonic Plague” -Miller Lite radio commercial.
"God made the bulk; the surface was invented by the devil" -Wolfgang Pauli

Demetrios Gavril
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Demetrios Gavril » 2012-04-05 05:25

Took out the mutually exclusive systems. Added triple redundant shields, increasing the SBD. Added 20 MGLTs to the speed. Removed Wraith Cannons and replaced with Turbolasers. Exchanged 1/3 of the crew for droids who don't care about cramped spaces... or food for that matter (I refuse to get into droid vs human debate). Bronzium armor should allow for more capable ramming. Forward fixed guns are positioned so as to allow for safe ramming, it's a non-issue.

Kurge
Freelancer
Custom Title: Employee of Luciana Endivain
Organizational Unit: SIN

Post by Kurge » 2012-06-05 01:24

I like those changes...Any comments Saint? :D

~Tyr