Advanced Cybernetic Infiltration Suit (ACIS)

Imperial Department of Military Research.

Moderator: IDOMIR

Forum rules
Imperial Department of Military Research

For instructions on entering a project in the Imperial Department of Military Research, click here.

Designation: What your completed design will be called. This is not necessarily your project name. (for example, Project "Twin Ion Engine" may produce a design with the designation "TIE Fighter")

Purpose: State the purpose of what you are designing, why it should be designed, why you are designing it.

Application: State how your design is used.

Schedule: In Star Wars time, how long it will take to design. You may create the finished project the next minute in real life, however it may take longer to actually design it. The average schedule is from 1 week to 2 months. If you wish, you can reply to this message with a description of your progress on different days/weeks (based on your schedule) leading up to your prototype completion. When you are ready, reply again with all of the information on the prototype. This should be posted as a reply to the original message, and contain the following information:

Visual Description: Simply describe what the prototype looks like. A picture is appreciated but not required (except for vehicles, fighters and capital ships).

Technical Specifications: State all of the properties of your design, for example, if it is a fighter you should include its speed (MGLT), hull rating (RU), shield rating (SBD), weapons, etc. Also, if at all possible, indicate the Star Wars technology used in the prototype and for what purpose.

Weaknesses: Realistically, every design should have some.

Projected Upgrades: Self-explanatory. You have to ability to reply to this topic as many times as you wish to upgrade your design. Always reply, only one topic per project.
Crystala Endivain
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor
Custom Title: Director-General & Dark Jedi Archon
Organizational Unit: ISIS (in its entirety)

Post by Crystala Endivain » 2012-07-29 05:01

Designation:

Purpose:
The Federation possesses two infiltration suits already, the Cybernetic Infiltration Suit which is an evolved form of the EX-2 CCIS (Combat Cloak Infiltration Suit) and the Chameleon Mk II armour. The latter most of those suits doesn't use a true cloak though that isn't to say the suit isn't useful, not at all, but there will be times when a device capable of true cloaking will surpass mere holograms (OOC: Plus, I tend to treat the chameleon as the army's toy while the CIS and EX-2 favor more the ISIS. ;) )

Anyways, it's been several years since the CIS has seen any upgrades and while some might argue that there's nothing to improve upon, I beg to differ. For instance, while the cloak allows the wearer to see his/her surroundings, it's never actually stated if the wearer can see him/herself or how the objects the wearer carries is rendered invisible. From numerous readings, I can infer that, for the case of the EX-2, the cloak is a field, or a bubble, that obscures anything from being seen inside this bubble. The same could be said for the CIS which doesn't really detail how the cloak works insofar as the field itself.

This project intends to make the cloak more sophisticated and useful for future operatives and also serve to completely replace the EX-2 and it's potentially debilitating mental degradation effects. (OOC: actually, it's never revealed if this problem was solved with the CIS... Darnit, can someone get MadCat back to elaborate on that?!?)

Application:
Following the same design principles found in the CIS, and I quote:
The suit will also have a vein-like system of mico-fibre optic wires, which are connected to certain points of the wearer's nervous system. The wires connect to a neural network system in the helmet. The helmet is constructed out of ultra-lightweight durasteel. It covers the entire head and face, upon which there is a single optic reciever, which features an analysis program similar to the glasses of an ISS agent. The optic reciever unit provides the wearer of the helmet with constant data outreads, and the wearer can control the zoom of the view, and also switch between various vision modes including infared and night-vision, with a tongue-controlled switch inside the helmet. The helmet also houses an interior microcomputer which is connected to the wiring system in the suit. Every five seconds, the computer system collects data from the wires connected to the wearer's nervous system, and reports any problems, such as internal bleeding, which the wearer would normally not be conscious of. This feedback system between the suit's wire system and the helmet computer is what truly sets the Cybernetic Infiltration Suit apart from past non-cybernetic models.
Once again, it's never stated that the wearer is actually able to see his or her limbs and gear (or even themselves) when the cloak is activated. Assuming they can't (and let's make that assumption valid unless evidence exists otherwise), than manipulation of objects could potentially be difficult unless the wearer has a very good spatial visualization. Assuming that ISIS agents do have this, there still exists the possibility of misjudging something simply due to the lack of a visual confirmation as to where their hand, or tool, is in terms of space-time.

To counteract this, the fiber optic sensor network tied to the helmet HUD will now provide a holographic overlay for the wearer, revealing to the wearer, and the wearer only, the location of their limbs through a visual representation. This will help tremendously with spatial recognition.

Another potential problem (OOC: Slash uncertainty) exists with the way the cloaking field is emitted and the shape it takes to conceal both the wearer and his or her weapons, equipment and gear. Assuming it is a bubble, the power draw could potentially be reduced by making the cloaking field more form fitting (and could cut down on other potential problems like if the agent walks past a stylus on the ground which makes it appear to vanish and reappear). In order to conceal the weapons, rather than design all new weapons, the suit itself already contains the answer in the form of the sensors on it. Additional sensors are added for the suit's new, modernized computer which can easily handle the additional input (OOC: Assuming Moore's Law is universal ;) )

With the power savings and modern tech, the last piece of tech to be added to this suit is a personal shield generator. This armour favors flexibility over durability and the cloak itself could be knocked out by a lucky shot so a small personal shield is included which gives the wearer a 1 SBD shield (which is good for about 10 shots). It's rechargeable (as is the cloaking device) via the energy generated through the wearer's motions.

Speaking of recharging: the original cloak was good for an 8 hour charge before it had to be recharged which had to be done before the mission (implying an internal, non-easily removed powercell). This armour incorporates the same KEGS (Kinetic Energy Generation System) as found in the CAMOLEON Mk.II Armor System. While the power generation is still very small, it will prolong the life of the cloak slightly and be able to convert some of the wearer's movements into stored energy when the cloak isn't on. Otherwise, recharging the device is as simple as replacing the powercell or plugging the device into a standard socket... (OOC: or whatever serves for power recharging in the SW universe... Maybe like those recharging pads they have for mobile phones?)

Finally, the material used in the construction of the suit will be partially changed, the bodyglove will instead use Shadowsilk and enhanced microfibre instead of the "mix of enhanced microfibre and a rubber-like material" as shadowsilk is a lighter material and does a much better job at dampening sounds. Plus, it will provide a passive level of stealth when the wearer doesn't have the cloak activated.

This armour also includes the MEV Katana standard (OOC: and also a small vibro dagger just because some operatives prefer a smaller, easier to wield blade over a sword... to each their own I guess ;) ).

Schedule:
As the fundamental technology exists already, most of this is simply redesigning and tweaking what's already there. As a result, the time for this project to be completed could be as little as a month though, as with all things, unforeseen events can and do occur so in the interest of overestimating and getting a bigger R&D budget that way, I'm going to say 3 months.

Visual Description:
Image copyright Bioware, EA. All rights reserved. Image reproduced for non-commercial purposes.

Technical Specifications:
More or less the same as the CIS armour, including the MEV Katana. The only difference is some of the design aspects which I will detail here:

The small shield generator produces a 1 SBD shield and is much the same as the cybernetic implant except instead it's a shoulder mounted unit. The shield is overlaid underneath the cloaking field as a form fitting field.

The palms are fitted with sensors designed to both detect the shape of the weapon being gripped for the cloaking field to adapt to and with a shield projector to create a small localized, concentrated shield arc to absorb incoming blasts, effectively increasing the efficiency of the shield, giving it an equivalent 2 SBD used in this fashion.

Weaknesses:
  • Expensive - This armour, like it's predecessors, is expensive to both produce and maintain and, as such, will only be issued to elite agents (people past RL3 or under special circumstances).
  • Potentially the same as the CIS and the EX-2 (except minus the mental degradation properties through prolonged exposure?)
  • While equipped with some level of protection, this is device is primarily used for infiltration and stealth rather than combat. The shield is not rated to stand up to a typical firefight and is meant to give the operative a chance to survive and escape in case the worst happens rather than slug it out.
Projected Upgrades:
  • Incorporate into other ISIS issue armour
  • Issue elite agents real lightsabres rather than MEV katanas
  • Find a cheaper means of producing the armour to make it standard issue
  • Add a self-destruct device in case of capture (OOC: though, honestly, I imagine the NR would have acquired a suit by now...)
"Dagger of the ISIS? No, I am the hand that wields it!" - Director-General Endivain
"The quickest way to find the needle, burn the haystack!"

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Re: Advanced Cybernetic Infiltration Suit (ACIS)

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2012-08-03 12:53

Alright, seeing as how sneaky things tend to be my IDOMIR area, I suppose I should comment on this here armor. Let's get down to 'the business,' as they say.

I'll say this right off the bat: I'm not a huge fan of traditional cloaking devices (at least, those post-KOTOR era, where they've become significantly rarer). They're heavy, hot, expensive, and depending on the material used to make it, have potentially lethal drawbacks. Hibridium cloaks render the user blind to sensory input, which poses a problem for operators in the field. No senses = dead operator, as I'm sure you realize. Stygium-based systems are somewhat better in that regard, but the mineral is exceedingly rare and quite expensive, which reduces that material's utility. Neither characteristic is desirable in an armor system, for obvious reasons of both utility and cost. In the Database, it's not mentioned which variety of cloak the "Stealth Camo" part of the CIS is, but given the description, I'd assume that it's a stygium-based cloak. Again, stygium is expensive to acquire, which likely puts the cost of the CIS (and maybe the EX-2, though the whole "mind-altering cloakwaves" is making me go :| ) in the stratosphere.

On cloaking fields:
From what I understand, cloaking fields are dynamically generated by the cloaking system's controller, so it seems that adjusting its shape would also be moot; if it wasn't already form-fitting, should someone wearing a cloak press up against a wall, that section would disappear, no? Kind of silly to have a cloak that reveals its wearer (this also assumes intelligent thought on the part of the enemy patrol, but I digress). Better sensors are always a plus, however, but again, if the cloaking system is hibridium-based, they're useless because of the nature of the cloak.

On the other features:
I do like the idea of the shield generator, but I wonder if the suit is a little power-hungry when running both at once, even with the KEGS (glad to see that used elsewhere!). Are the batteries going to be able to power both a 1SBD system (which isn't common at all, given personal shield tech during the Civil War era) and a cloaking system? I also question the utility of the arcshield functionality of the palm emitters; does using this feature remove the shielding from the rest of the suit? If so, why bother with them if overall protection is decreased?

Like mentioned above, additional sensors are always good, but keep in mind the computing power needed to track all the inputs will be greater as well. Miniaturization and modernization can only go so far, but I suppose the use of a wristcomp in the suit can augment the helmet's capacities. I do very much like the idea of a spatial-assistance system as well; I might have to integrate this into CAMOLEON at some point.

Shadowsilk's a good idea; it will reduce the acoustic profile of the suit, preventing aural sensors from tracking the wearer.

Can't say much about the MEV Katana, beyond its very situational nature. Spyker's a bladesman, after all, so criticizing the choice would be hypocritical of me ;)
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Crystala Endivain
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor

Post by Crystala Endivain » 2012-08-04 02:17

Spyker wrote:Are the batteries going to be able to power both a 1SBD system (which isn't common at all, given personal shield tech during the Civil War era)
Well, let's put this in another perspective: Shield generator III cybernetic can provide up to a 3SBD shield for up to five minutes and it's meant to be planted inside someone's body. There's also a Shield generator I cybernetic that gives a 1SBD for five minutes but let's use the III version. How inconceivable would it be to reduce that SBD rating down to 1 but prolong the life of the shield to, say, 15 minutes off of whatever powercell the shield is using (again, the powersource probably wouldn't be all that big in my opinion. So, assuming we can run this shield off the powercell, it means we can keep the other power source dedicated to the cloak (which adds redundancy at the cost of a little weight).

As for rarity? Well... there should probably be a disclaimer somewhere in the cybernetics section then because it sounds like those things are readily attainable. Point is, aside from the passive knowledge that the tech from the KOTOR days is seemingly long gone, there doesn't seem to be any real indication that it's vanished nor all that rare. I would say it's reflected in the cost: 60,000 credits for a shield generator III, coupled with the cost of the armour itself (not listed, but let's go with a conservative estimate of 100,000) and now it makes sense why a disclaimer is used stating the armour is only used for ranked operatives only.
Spyker wrote:I'll say this right off the bat: I'm not a huge fan of traditional cloaking devices..."
I can tell ;) But for what it's worth, I'm not a huge fan of white armoured suits being applicable for every battlefield environment. As an aside, yes, I'm jumping around a bit... Start reading, then I find a part I feel like commenting on so then I start with that and go back to the beginning... and here I go on a pointless tangent...
Spyker wrote:They're heavy, hot, expensive, and depending on the material used to make it, have potentially lethal drawbacks. Hibridium cloaks render the user blind to sensory input, which poses a problem for operators in the field. No senses = dead operator, as I'm sure you realize. Stygium-based systems are somewhat better in that regard, but the mineral is exceedingly rare and quite expensive, which reduces that material's utility. Neither characteristic is desirable in an armor system, for obvious reasons of both utility and cost. In the Database, it's not mentioned which variety of cloak the "Stealth Camo" part of the CIS is, but given the description, I'd assume that it's a stygium-based cloak. Again, stygium is expensive to acquire, which likely puts the cost of the CIS in the stratosphere.
Yeah, it never really was wholeheartedly elaborated on what the cloak was or the other details, but the level of detail that is there makes it sound halfway feasible, at least enough so to have been approved twice. Granted, those suits were created in an era where Wookieepedia was probably just a concept in someone's head and the New Jedi Order books were just starting to come around (never mind KOTOR, Ep III and the fleshing out of the Clone Wars).

Costs would be high, but, up until recently, none of these armours have really been in wide use by any of the board members (though I doubt many of us go sifting around through all the smaller gems and pieces of tech we have buried around the site, DB or even the old board).

In short, you are right.
Spyker wrote:(and maybe the EX-2, though the whole "mind-altering cloakwaves" is making me go :| )
Maybe they had to make up a weakness to the whole cloak? Maybe it's a whole new cloak design that isn't either Stygium nor Hibridium and hence the whole mind altering bit with them?

Thinking about it, I recall an episode of Batman (the old cartoon version that aired in the 90's) about a material that would turn invisible when some sort of magnetic field was applied to it. The side effect was that it would slowly drive the person insane. I won't speak for the designer of that project if the idea stemmed from that episode, but I dare say it did. Regardless of where it came from, maybe this is just more evidence that, perhaps there exist other means to turn someone or something invisible. Is it SW canon? No, but why does it have to be?
Spyker wrote:From what I understand, cloaking fields are dynamically generated by the cloaking system's controller, so it seems that adjusting its shape would also be moot; if it wasn't already form-fitting, should someone wearing a cloak press up against a wall, that section would disappear, no? Kind of silly to have a cloak that reveals its wearer (this also assumes intelligent thought on the part of the enemy patrol, but I digress). Better sensors are always a plus, however, but again, if the cloaking system is hibridium-based, they're useless because of the nature of the cloak.
If its form fitting, than great, one less thing to worry about. It was never really explained in any tremendous detail was all, plus, a field might have allowed the wearer to see their weapons all this time to begin with yet the field was somehow intelligent enough to know what to filter out in terms of static scenery. There's a lot of speculation here, but I call it a byproduct of what could well be a bygone era.
Spyker wrote:Like mentioned above, additional sensors are always good, but keep in mind the computing power needed to track all the inputs will be greater as well. Miniaturization and modernization can only go so far, but I suppose the use of a wristcomp in the suit can augment the helmet's capacities. I do very much like the idea of a spatial-assistance system as well; I might have to integrate this into CAMOLEON at some point.
Depends actually. IIRC, there was a mission, long while ago, where we took over some planet that produced crystals that were capable of being used as a data storage medium and a flash drive sized crystal was capable of storing more data than fifty supercomputers or some such. For a more tangible example, look at Astromech droids like R2s. I imagine plotting a hyperspace route is a complicated task, as Han Solo pointed out back in A New Hope. If astromechs, trash can sized droids that probably carry a larger bulk of tools and fiddily bits than processing equipment, are able to handle complex computations, than I'm sure a small micro computer can handle being installed on what is, for all intents and purposes, a real-time mocap suit (just minus all the little blue balls and all that jazz ;) )

You only get to integrate the idea of spatial-assistance if this project is approved and completed btw, otherwise I'm going to execute my powerz as both R&D mod and ISIS DG to make sure all plans are wiped off the face of the galaxy, and out of the minds of anyone who tries to create them :lol:
Spyker wrote:Shadowsilk's a good idea; it will reduce the acoustic profile of the suit, preventing aural sensors from tracking the wearer.
What can I say? Since finding out about shadowsilk in the Scum & Villainy source book, it's been something I always wanted to incorporate in things :D
Spyker wrote:Can't say much about the MEV Katana, beyond its very situational nature. Spyker's a bladesman, after all, so criticizing the choice would be hypocritical of me ;)
I think MadCat's thinking the exact same thing I am with Rule of Cool. Maybe I should shrink it down to a tanto or wakizashi because, really, looking at the pic, there is no way that thing is a katana... But now I'm getting to the finer (dare I say minor) details of things. But, I have a picture, why not use it right?

So, ultimately, a lot of uncertainty exists with respects to the cloak itself and possibly the power draws as well as some of the means to get around it. I sadly don't have the answers to them, but I'm also not going to give up on cloaking suits either, purely because they're both awesome and underrated (not to mention oft overlooked).
"Dagger of the ISIS? No, I am the hand that wields it!" - Director-General Endivain

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2012-08-04 19:37

Re: Shielding

Okay, that makes sense then if we use the power source from the 3rd-level implant (3SBD/5minutes --> 1SBD/15min sounds reasonable to me). And yes, I would assume that cybernetics are readily attainable, but these particular milspec ones would only be available to soldiers/operators, for obvious reasons. That said, I'm sure they can be found in a "slightly used" fashion on the black market, if you know what I mean.

That said, I'd be okay with approving this if the cloak and shield are used exclusively from each other (one or the other, not both at once); it'd still be able to provide the user protection, but why would they be needed at the same time (can't shoot what you can't see and all that)?

Re: Cost
100KCr seems a bit steep, given that the implant cost likely includes the medical bills for doing the implantation; since we're just using the power source externally, the price could easily be cut to 50KCr (after all materials have been acquired). Still expensive, and still restricted, but somewhat less costly to the taxpayers. At 100KCr, I would have suggesting bumping the rank requirement up further than RL3 (maybe to 5 or 6), but I think we could swing 50KCr for RL3s.

Re: Cloak = Crazy
Point taken, and it's possible, I suppose. If something's powerful enough to redirect optical waves, chances are it's interfering with emag fields. It's quite possible that it's causing mental harm, so point withdrawn.

Re: Computation
Touché. Point withdrawn due to blackmail better reasoning ;)

Re: MEV-K
Definitely too small for a katana; perhaps it's a ninjato or wakizashi. I'd assume the tech can be scaled, though, so the nomenclature's really a moot point.

Overall, good points, and I think if we can agree on the cost, and the cloak/shield dichotomy, this can be approved. Any last thoughts?
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Crystala Endivain
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor

Post by Crystala Endivain » 2012-08-04 21:58

Spyker wrote:That said, I'd be okay with approving this if the cloak and shield are used exclusively from each other (one or the other, not both at once); it'd still be able to provide the user protection, but why would they be needed at the same time (can't shoot what you can't see and all that)?
I didn't intend to make them both active at the same time, after all, I think in the DB said something to the effect of:
Database>Cybernetics wrote:Prohibits sensors and communications from working when activated.
Which makes sense because shields stop rays and/or particles from getting past them and the only reason it doesn't affect ships is simply because of shield windows, which would require more equipment/tech to produce but in the case of a small device like this, it's probably a moot point.
Spyker wrote:100KCr seems a bit steep, given that the implant cost likely includes the medical bills for doing the implantation; since we're just using the power source externally, the price could easily be cut to 50KCr (after all materials have been acquired). Still expensive, and still restricted, but somewhat less costly to the taxpayers. At 100KCr, I would have suggesting bumping the rank requirement up further than RL3 (maybe to 5 or 6), but I think we could swing 50KCr for RL3s.
I'm not much of a cost estimator, I'll freely admit that ;) I think we can safely establish that this suit would be more expensive than the two previous, versions and I had a thought in my mind to perhaps have this one replace the CIS and limit it to, say, RL4 or 5s and let RL3s run around with the EX-2s. Just a thought, after all, I still have no idea how much either or those are and if I should just standardize the cloak suits to use nothing but these ones...
Spyker wrote:Touché. Point withdrawn due to blackmail better reasoning.
Glad you saw reason :D *calls off the kill team*
Spyker wrote:Overall, good points, and I think if we can agree on the cost, and the cloak/shield dichotomy, this can be approved. Any last thoughts?
I think so, Brain Spyker, but how are we going to make pencils that taste like bacon?