Have your say on the storylines.
Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Book of Ideas #6, Page 142

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-11-08 19:50

I'm not sure where to post this since it's not necessarily SM material (though it could be) but I guess here is as good as any a place right? I'm more throwing this idea out there but feedback and ideas are always welcome.

Anyways, I was on a bus ride home thinking about- what else?- the NIF and trying to get the creative ideas flowing again when I somehow got thinking about the Jedi/Sith. At the same moment, I heard some people talking about flu vaccinations- which is a whole other topic in of itself but I digress. It made me think, yeah, if bacta were real, we wouldn't have much to worry about. Then I got to wondering, what do Jedi/Sith do if they get sick? Then I realized, they probably wouldn't get sick in the first place. Bacta notwithstanding, they could always use the Force to kill (if you're a Sith or not so hippie-esque Jedi) or remove (if you care for all aspects of life Jedi) the viruses or bacteria causing you to be ill.

Then I remembered Mara Jade got sick with some sort of Vong poison which the Force couldn't cure but it got me thinking...

What if someone, long long ago, had created a virus that shared some of the same traits as the ysalamiri (ie, create an Anti-Force bubble, if only microscopic enough to prevent Force removal/curing) and was highly resistant to bacta? Then, to make this virus even more interesing, what if it somehow fed off the Midi-chlorians such that, the stronger and more attuned an individual was to the Force, the worse the virus would attack and the sicker the infected would become? People with zero force sensitivity would maybe get the sniffles but little else while full blown Jedi Masters or Sith Lords would be bed ridden with really bad flu like symptoms?

Combine this with the idea that, like in the real world, with interplanetary trade such as it is, pandemics could spread across the galaxy like wildfire and, well, I think this idea could spawn some interesting threads.

Anyways, just thought I'd share that with everyone here and give you all a glimpse as to how my mind operates (it doesn't). I haven't done much posting lately, but I do think about potential stories and ideas for everyone. Feel free to comment, add to it or just roll your eyes, shake your head and go "you poor, poor fool Fini".

Cheers!
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal
Custom Title: Director of Imperial Space Force Operations

Re: Book of Ideas #6, Page 142

Post by Dravius Stari » 2011-11-08 22:26

Not that im doubting the ability of scientists - after all my character is genetically engineered - but I'm not so sure you could engineer a bacta resistant disease.

I think an interesting twist would be a disease that provokes an allergy to bacta. To my mind, thats a truly horrible weapon even if the disease itself is mild because it basically means you have to become a cyborg unless you have Xizor like wealth which allows you to keep cloning body parts.

You could then splice in some kind of Ysalamiri DNA which basically means the force user is allergic to bacta and couldn't use the force.

Not sure of the actual viability of the idea, but thats my take :)

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-11-08 22:57

Dravius Stari wrote:Not that im doubting the ability of scientists - after all my character is genetically engineered - but I'm not so sure you could engineer a bacta resistant disease.

I think an interesting twist would be a disease that provokes an allergy to bacta. To my mind, thats a truly horrible weapon even if the disease itself is mild because it basically means you have to become a cyborg unless you have Xizor like wealth which allows you to keep cloning body parts.

You could then splice in some kind of Ysalamiri DNA which basically means the force user is allergic to bacta and couldn't use the force.

Not sure of the actual viability of the idea, but thats my take :)
Bacta allergies have been induced before by contaminated bacta (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lot_ZX1449F), so it's not completely unheard of. The allergy can also be a natural occurrance, but that's considerably rarer.

As for a resistant disease, it's certainly possible as bacta is supposedly bacterial particles suspended in solution; all you'd need is something that inhibited the healing mechanism of bacta (maybe turning it into the opposite of such via some genomic tweaks? Contaminated bacta would then cause additional harm to a person if applied...). However, there's still kolto around, which might mitigate the whole issue somewhat (even if it is less effective than bacta).
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-11-13 18:07

Spyker wrote:However, there's still kolto around, which might mitigate the whole issue somewhat (even if it is less effective than bacta).
Either way, with Kolto, it's pretty uncommon stuff in the sense that I doubt the infrastructure would be there to serve as a sudden bacta replacement if a pandemic broke out across the galaxy and bacta was useless against it. ... Is sad that I'm only now thinking about the economics and logistics of the galaxy and how it operates?
Drav wrote:I think an interesting twist would be a disease that provokes an allergy to bacta. To my mind, thats a truly horrible weapon even if the disease itself is mild because it basically means you have to become a cyborg unless you have Xizor like wealth which allows you to keep cloning body parts.
I agree with you to a point. Bacta is the magical cure-all for everything, but look at today's medicine and medical technology. Depending on the injury and nature of it, being allergic to bacta means you can't rely on a nice dunk in the tank to get yourself all better. It means hospital stays will be longer and surgeries will increase as will recovery times. It would also mean that, for things like the flu or common cold, you'll have to take other antibiotics or ride it out which could take days or weeks even. Then there's the kolto, but again, depending on the demand side of things and the limits of supply, you might need Xizor-esque wealth to afford a kolto treatment.

As far as I can remember, there are 2 planets that are able to produce kolto. What about bacta? I'm under the impression there's only one which makes me wonder how the heck one world can supply the entire known galaxy with the magical cure-all agent? What's the shelf-life of bacta?
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-11-13 19:20

Bacta, as far as I know, is supplied solely by Thyferra, which has stayed neutral or protected because of its vitality to Galactic needs (until the Swarm War, but that's not until 36ABY). Bacta is stockpiled on Bespin, but is not made there.

And I agree that kolto would be a poor substitute in the short run, at least until production ramps up on Manaan (the only place it can be found, according to WP). Supposedly it's cheaper overall than bacta, though, but that might be due to its reportedly decreased effectiveness in comparison (need more kolto for the same result).

Tycho
Lieutenant-Colonel
Lieutenant-Colonel
Custom Title: Alpha Lead
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM

Post by Tycho » 2011-11-13 19:23

The difference is that kolto is more of a plantlike growth so it takes longer and can only be harvested from one planet. Bacta is just a bacterial agent that can be mass produced.

I prefer your original force-only bio weapon. Drav, splicing ysalarmi into bacta poison would be much harder than what Fini is suggesting. ;)

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-11-18 22:19

I thought Chandrilla also stockpiled Bacta? Or has it been that long since I played Rogue Squadron for the N64?

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-11-18 22:43

WP only has Bespin listed, so maybe that was a secret stockpile?

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-11-18 23:17

You're probably right... Well, I know what I'm doing tonight! Watching Let's Play of Rogue Squadron for the N64!!!