R & D Commentary

Moderator: IDOMIR

Crystala Endivain
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor
Custom Title: Director-General & Dark Jedi Archon
Organizational Unit: ISIS (in its entirety)

Re: R & D Commentary

Post by Crystala Endivain » 2011-03-17 19:17

Abraxes: What about using 3 TIE-EWs for your new corvettes? They would help enable the ship to be a harder target to spot and track with various weapons.
"Dagger of the ISIS? No, I am the hand that wields it!" - Director-General Endivain
"The quickest way to find the needle, burn the haystack!"

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Organizational Unit: Executive Officer of TFJ, Fourth Fleet.

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2011-03-18 01:44

Okay, 3 TIE-EW's it is :P- that would be good, thanks for the suggestion :P

DraaygoRiinuuk
Captain
Captain
Custom Title: FCO of Fourth Fleet
Organizational Unit: Fourth Fleet, DevSD Apocalypse

Post by DraaygoRiinuuk » 2011-03-19 01:43

Um, Fini. I could be wrong, but wasn't the Allegiance already upgraded in that Project Ameliorate thingy Ace posted a while ago?
Open up your eyes and you'll see,
That I'm not perfect,
That's what I'm trying to be,
Cause I know you're worth it.
These new demons are changing me inside,
Changing me inside.
- I See Stars "New Demons"

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-03-19 02:12

Oh? Well, then I'll call it the Mk III :D

EDIT - Upon closer analysis of this it seems I could toss a whole whack more onto my latest ship upgrade. Also, it's technically not an ASD but it does follow a similar hull design and size.

Also, as a point of note... how many of those have we built? The Exuberant-class I mean...
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Organizational Unit: Executive Officer of TFJ, Fourth Fleet.

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2011-03-19 02:55

I don't know how many exuberants were built >.> BUT I now know one person who wants to build at least one >.>

TFJ could use one or two >.>

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-03-19 03:03

Well, wait until you check out the updated ASD Mk II :D

"Now with 100% more awesome!!! Also, Torque doesn't make their guns out of frekin' wood!" - Marcus, Borderlands.

Also it comes with MCPS :D Yes, it's pending the test results, but let's just say I'm being proactive in incorporating it into our fleets, making a modern ship that so modern, it's... contemporary!!!
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal
Custom Title: Director of Imperial Space Force Operations

Post by Dravius Stari » 2011-03-21 11:41

Could we clarify something?

Im working on customizing some armour for Drav. Fini is my point man (as usual) and Spyker and Kurge are providing a fair bit of assistance (thanks guys)

My intention is that id build the armour from the ground up, but does it need to be posted here? I am definately not opposed to it, but since its just for me, and not for use by the federation what say you all?

FYI i intend to revisit the standard flightsuit when this is done. But that would be a separate situation obviously, unless there are compelling arguments otherwise?

Thoughts?

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-03-22 19:35

Any time Drav though I don't consider myself a point man so much as the guy who sits in the back of the room yelling random comments or ideas or just heckling the person standing up front ;)
Dravius Stari wrote:My intention is that id build the armour from the ground up, but does it need to be posted here? I am definately not opposed to it, but since its just for me, and not for use by the federation what say you all?
Generally, I've seen personal R&D projects posted in the IDOMR forum before, probably more to give people detailed stats about what it is so that way, in IC threads, when people go busting out their personal projects, potential oppo people aren't necessarily blindsided by that hidden poisoned dart launcher that was cleverly concealed in the belt buckle of their armour (why it has a belt or even a belt buckle for that matter is anyone's guess). Of course, I see Drav's argument too...

I think it's probably good to post even personal projects in R&D since our helpful R&D mods will be able to provide useful insight into your project that might otherwise have been overlooked. Of course I intend to post various coming projects that might not necessarily benefit the NIF but hey, such is the life of an independent weapons developer ;)

On that note, if anyone has any suggestions for requirements for a special forces weapon in the line of the DC-19 or the DC-17m, PM them to me if you could. Basically I'm after what people (commandos, agents, special forces etc.) would be after and/or interested in if a redesigned/updated/modernized weapon in the same line as either (or both) of the above were to be researched and developed. And, as usual, there's a method to the madness so stay tuned for that :D

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Dravius Stari » 2011-03-23 10:23

Tavish McFini wrote:ny time Drav though I don't consider myself a point man so much as the guy who sits in the back of the room yelling random comments or ideas or just heckling the person standing up front
Yeah, but i was feeling generous. Get on board, because they teach you how to kill a pig with a stick down here :P
Tavish McFini wrote:Generally, I've seen personal R&D projects posted in the IDOMR forum before, probably more to give people detailed stats about what it is so that way, in IC threads, when people go busting out their personal projects, potential oppo people aren't necessarily blindsided by that hidden poisoned dart launcher that was cleverly concealed in the belt buckle of their armour (why it has a belt or even a belt buckle for that matter is anyone's guess). Of course, I see Drav's argument too...
Excellent point. I will post the armour and suggest as a rule, anytime we develop something along these lines we post it in R&D to ensure its realistic by the SW universe.
Tavish McFini wrote:I think it's probably good to post even personal projects in R&D since our helpful R&D mods will be able to provide useful insight into your project that might otherwise have been overlooked. Of course I intend to post various coming projects that might not necessarily benefit the NIF but hey, such is the life of an independent weapons developer
Hah! Count me out. I did my bit for your new defender, i just want to sit back and get into some fun RP.
Tavish McFini wrote:On that note, if anyone has any suggestions for requirements for a special forces weapon in the line of the DC-19 or the DC-17m, PM them to me if you could. Basically I'm after what people (commandos, agents, special forces etc.) would be after and/or interested in if a redesigned/updated/modernized weapon in the same line as either (or both) of the above were to be researched and developed. And, as usual, there's a method to the madness so stay tuned for that
I would like weapons that as opposed to dissassemble, slide out. I.e. a sniper rifle whereby the stock slides out behind the weapon, and the barrel slides out in front of it. Portable, but obviously not as effective.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-04-06 16:07

Ace in 'Merciless Class Star destroyer' wrote:Don't ask, I have yet to encounter a simple way to explain imaginary mass.
Would it happen to be like trying to explain imaginary numbers? ;)

Rikku
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Custom Title: Tenno-Shinobi
Organizational Unit: Phoenix Empire-Operation Castor (ICE-Infiltrator)

Post by Rikku » 2011-04-06 16:51

Fini wrote:
Ace wrote:Ace in 'Merciless Class Star destroyer' wrote:
Don't ask, I have yet to encounter a simple way to explain imaginary mass.

Would it happen to be like trying to explain imaginary numbers? ;)
I think a more simple way of explaining "Imaginary Mass" would be like this. In a matter-antimatter reactor the energy is stored in the form of mass. This mass has a positive-integer value of rest mass, aka real mass. Photons, on the other hand, have a zero rest mass. Tachyons have a natural speed greater than that of light, as such have an imaginary rest mass. Maybe, a more simplistic way would be to say negative rest-mass.

Rest-mass is otherwise referred to as the "invariant mass, intrinsic mass, proper mass or just mass". As such, you could say that rest-mass is the mass that we would observe if we held the object in our hand or on a scale.

I hope that helps!
"The world now unchanged from ancient times
leaves that are words retain seeds in the heart"

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-04-13 15:21

Ace wrote:It would also be a good idea to save on our pilots and just use drone fighters on remote command. But how many would like to play a remote pilot? I have yet to see anyone.
I had an idea for this back in 2002 (yeah, pre-NIF if you can believe it) that involved using a mix of droid controlled TIEs (TIE/d's) with some of them remotely operated by actual pilots in simulators that were connected wirelessly. I might have even proposed such an idea in the early EZB Saga but I think that idea had too many problems such as lag-time and the need to suddenly find space to fit 7 squadrons worth of space in an ISD into simulator/remote piloting capacity.

Of course, you do bring up a valid point there Ace. I'm sure Drav would agree with me (and probably others still) when I say that there's a distinct difference in piloting something remotely versus actually being there and some of the thrill is taken away.

That being said, I'd be willing to see a project like that developed, if only because I can already envision the IC fun to be had with Fenrir squadron testing out a system and the needless bickering between the pilots and their thoughts about it. Add to that the recklessness of knowing that your life is no longer on the line when flying remotely and, well, I'm sure Mayli would be thrilled with constantly taking control of new TIEs, using them as over sized, underpowered missiles and slamming them into the bridge of the Int nearest NR capship! :lol:

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Post by Kane » 2011-04-14 09:45

Technically, we've had remote pilots for years as blanks.

It's not specified in SW canon, but if you look at a WD, they have drone fighters and a bunch of pilots. The rest is just adding 1+1 and get something between 1 and 3.

But there's a lot of improvements that could be done, and more drone fighter types we could employ (and make). There's just... limited interest for it.

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Dravius Stari » 2011-04-14 13:03

Kane wrote:There's just... limited interest for it.
I could see why. There is a huge difference between droid fighters, and unmanned fighters controlled by pilots in little pods. One would question in that case if they are pilots at all, or operators, such as those soldiers who control predators on missions. Obviously you can't play a droid controlled fighter, but think of how limiting a pod type pilot would be. Would they even be part of the space force? would they be mission rated? What role would they play in missions outside of....battle noise? How fun would it be in the lounge for the pod pilots. Spyker has enough mission stars to form a galaxy. I'd imagine a conversation between him and a pod pilot would be hilarious for us, but for him it would be like being stuck talking to the slow kid. Painful, and with no eject button. These are some of the problems i forsee with a pod type pilot.

My personal opinion is that we really should make use of droid type fighters. Especially when we look at ships reaching the end of their lifespan. Easy enough to convert them into droid fighter supercarriers. The thing is though, their use relies on a naval officer innovative enough to use them. I couldn't really see Drav on a droid control ship commanding a few thousand droid fighters at once. For one, that kind of post is very difficult for me to write, and secondly its the damn admirals job :p
Tavish McFini wrote:Of course, you do bring up a valid point there Ace. I'm sure Drav would agree with me (and probably others still) when I say that there's a distinct difference in piloting something remotely versus actually being there and some of the thrill is taken away.

I think I made my position on pod pilots clear enough ;) Of course, if you wanted to take a Flurry, pack it with droid fighters/droid bombs and send them to third, I wouldn't complain.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-04-14 16:27

Ace wrote:The rest is just adding 1+1 and get something between 1 and 3.
So... 1.3? :lol:
Drav wrote:...and secondly its the damn admirals job
But I'd just like to point out it's also the Admirals' job to delegate things. Besides, Admirals have grander things to concern themselves with than one droid control ship and thousands of fighters... things like, y'know, a fleet? I imagine it would be a Captain's job to command the ship and someone from the Space Force to oversee the maximum effectiveness of the droid fighters, enabling the Captain to keep the ship itself working at peek efficiency while also carrying out any orders from higher up. ;)

Delegation my friend, delegation! That's the key to success!

Anyways, on a more serious note, I might design a few new TIE Droid fighters/bombers but I fear our existing R&D staff are trapped under the burdens of Real Life enough as it is so I'll wait for things to clear up before I flood them worse than this province is getting flooded by the snow melt! :P

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-04-14 19:27

Personally I envisioned a compromise. A pilot in a fighter directing a squadron of autonomous drones, for instance. Droids working under organic command isn't a new concept. The SD and Viper series, for instance.

Spyker Katarn
Apprentice
Apprentice
Custom Title: IC: RSM, SWC, Army. OOC: Admin, Academy Instr.
Organizational Unit: SPECWARCOM, Omega Order

Post by Spyker Katarn » 2011-04-14 19:48

Dravius Stari wrote:
Kane wrote:There's just... limited interest for it.
I could see why. There is a huge difference between droid fighters, and unmanned fighters controlled by pilots in little pods. One would question in that case if they are pilots at all, or operators, such as those soldiers who control predators on missions. Obviously you can't play a droid controlled fighter, but think of how limiting a pod type pilot would be. Would they even be part of the space force? would they be mission rated? What role would they play in missions outside of....battle noise? How fun would it be in the lounge for the pod pilots. Spyker has enough mission stars to form a galaxy. I'd imagine a conversation between him and a pod pilot would be hilarious for us, but for him it would be like being stuck talking to the slow kid. Painful, and with no eject button. These are some of the problems i forsee with a pod type pilot.

My personal opinion is that we really should make use of droid type fighters. Especially when we look at ships reaching the end of their lifespan. Easy enough to convert them into droid fighter supercarriers. The thing is though, their use relies on a naval officer innovative enough to use them. I couldn't really see Drav on a droid control ship commanding a few thousand droid fighters at once. For one, that kind of post is very difficult for me to write, and secondly its the damn admirals job :p
Tavish McFini wrote:Of course, you do bring up a valid point there Ace. I'm sure Drav would agree with me (and probably others still) when I say that there's a distinct difference in piloting something remotely versus actually being there and some of the thrill is taken away.

I think I made my position on pod pilots clear enough ;) Of course, if you wanted to take a Flurry, pack it with droid fighters/droid bombs and send them to third, I wouldn't complain.

My guess is any "pod" pilots would serve similar roles to UAV pilots in any of the militaries that use drone aircraft (mission support, reconnaissance, surgical airstrikes, CAS, etc.). Its a valid niche in the Army at least; not sure how useful they'd be in the space force, though. The Navy might be able to use them for long-range bombardment (would be cheaper than a TIE/fc or TIE Recon, at least). Theoretically, though, they could be effective fightercraft barring any time-lag issues between sending a command and receiving it (which I'm assuming has been taken care of with holonet transmissions; either that or we've got ansibles somewhere...). In the USAF at least, UAV pilots are pilots, they often have their wings, so the distinction is moot.

Spyker-the-character has his role, and UAV pilots have theirs; I'm sure they could find something to talk about if he wasn't such a loner ;)

I do think that such a role would be best filled by blanks, though, unless a player has a good idea of how to RP it full-time.
“I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it.”

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Dravius Stari » 2011-04-16 03:30

Spyker Katarn wrote:My guess is any "pod" pilots would serve similar roles to UAV pilots in any of the militaries that use drone aircraft (mission support, reconnaissance, surgical airstrikes, CAS, etc.). Its a valid niche in the Army at least; not sure how useful they'd be in the space force, though
To be honest they are a waste of resources. A better system is to have droid fighters and standard human fighters. I can definately see how in the army, in a battlefield contained entirely within a planet that they could be useful but im thinking space battles (problem with being a space force pilot, thats where my focus is :P) and in any case, you could probably achieve the same things with droids.
Spyker Katarn wrote:The Navy might be able to use them for long-range bombardment (would be cheaper than a TIE/fc or TIE Recon, at least)
Capital ships are even cheaper. Turbolasers have long range and do lots of damage.
Spyker Katarn wrote:Theoretically, though, they could be effective fightercraft barring any time-lag issues between sending a command and receiving it (which I'm assuming has been taken care of with holonet transmissions; either that or we've got ansibles somewhere...).
I'm also thinking that surely someone at some point has researched a kind of electronic warfare to disrupt these signals, severing the link and rendering them useless.
Spyker Katarn wrote:In the USAF at least, UAV pilots are pilots, they often have their wings, so the distinction is moot.
The Space Force is not however the USAF. I'd be interested to see what happened classification wise and why. To be clear, im not saying they should not be pilots, just that it is not apparent where they would be placed organizationally. Also, there is a difference between an official distinction and an unofficial distinction. I find it unlikely in the extreme that pod pilots would not be the brunt of a series of jokes. Hence my point about Spyker's missions stars and the pod pilots. Even Spyker would chuckle when they complained about how in the last battle their chair was uncomfortable and the joystick broke!
Spyker Katarn wrote:I do think that such a role would be best filled by blanks, though, unless a player has a good idea of how to RP it full-time.
I agree. I think nobody would want to limit themselves that much which is why nobody really created that kind of character lol.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

Post by Tavish McFini » 2011-04-19 03:07

So, we have quad-lasers and quad-turbolasers, even turbo-quadlasers.

What about ion-quadcannons or quad ion cannons?

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2011-04-19 14:55

ISDs have four- and eight-barreled ion cannons. Most ion cannons are single-barreled mounts however, like the NK-7. The ARMek SW-2 is by some sources noted as a quad ion cannon, by some as four single barrels.

Presumably they don't have the same cooling needs as turbolasers since their primary function isn't particle excitement. This lowers the usefulness of dividing firepower somewhat. There's little need for quick-response, rapid-fire ion cannons, since they're typically used for capital ship fights. One weapon that differs from the norm are the point defence ion cannons of the Venator. I'd guess the preference for ionic weapons was because of separatist droid fighters.