ICE Comments & Planning

Go beyond the Outer Rim and visit faraway exotic places.
Forum rules
Go beyond the Outer Rim and visit faraway exotic places.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

ICE Comments & Planning

Post by Kane » 2010-08-03 07:15

Task Force ICE

This is a thread for preliminary talk and planning for ICE. One of the first things to establish will be where we're going with it.

We're taking suggestions for the first scenario. We're thinking of an original setting rather than a crossover, and starting out small and easy.

As a rule of thumb, you can't use any NIF characters with ICE. If you want to transfer, expect it to be permanent. ICE travels into foreign galaxies and will enounter strange new worlds. It's a long way home, don't expect much contact with the NIF.

Jericho Winters
Sergeant
Sergeant
Organizational Unit: 4th fleet , 4th army

Re: ICE Comments & Planning

Post by Jericho Winters » 2010-08-03 07:18

My idea I would like to put forth is a visit to the 'ang tii' region of space- the http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kathol_Rift as a means of finding a way towards 'breaking through the wall'.

That's basically it- unless some locals decide to not like the fleet passing through.
"I have found there are very few problems in this lifetime which can't be
solved with the proper applications of high explosives." - Burn Notice

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2010-08-03 07:22

The Kathol Rift is within our own galaxy, you hardly need ICE to go there. It's also an extremely hazardous place to navigate. As in, it makes people crazy.

Jericho Winters
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jericho Winters » 2010-08-03 07:24

I know- I figured if we get some ang tii to help navigate- ie- coerce them diplomatically it would be good for anything we need to 'break the wall' to get outside the galaxy. could just be an sm or something.

My idea was similar to -setup- seeing how the older projects outside the galactic rim were giant diplomatic endeavors. I know it's supposed to be militarily based but is ICE similar to prior occurences in it's ability to be used diplomatically?

A feed in to some sort of giant 'lauching' bananza?

Anyways I have some other ideas: It's just hard to work them out right now- so what is everyone looking is what I should really ask?

edit: sorry boss - it's hard to wrap my head around things in the wee hours of the morning ;)

Helmut Todstern
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Helmut Todstern » 2010-08-03 07:59

Howdy, boss man.

I assume we can't just pull random crossovers out and use them? My fanfiction stories, for instance, which are very heavily detailed.

"Never stop fighting. You'll never get what you want if you don't."

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2010-08-03 08:19

Jericho Winters wrote:My idea was similar to -setup- seeing how the older projects outside the galactic rim were giant diplomatic endeavors. I know it's supposed to be militarily based but is ICE similar to prior occurences in it's ability to be used diplomatically?

A feed in to some sort of giant 'lauching' bananza?
We're going to do an event of the launch.

As of this point, we don't actually know if the place we're going to have any sapient people in it. But there will be, of course, which will call for diplomacy. ICE is not a conquering expedition per se, it's about exploration and colonization, mainly.
Helmut Todstern wrote:I assume we can't just pull random crossovers out and use them? My fanfiction stories, for instance, which are very heavily detailed.
Well, sort of. ICE is going to need some guidelines and restrictions, having a given scenario to start with will help. As a rule we'll only deal with one crossover or original universe at a time. If you submit a story and people would like to use it as a base for exploration in that place, we can probably work something out.

One of the major points I'm going to need to set is how our technology stacks up with the aliens. We're also going to be restrictive about 'powers'. Let's say we take a detour to a fantasy place with dragons, magic, and swords. You will be allowed to make native characters if you want to - but 'magic users' will be strictly limited in what they can do, and the 'magic' may just be their interpretation of the Force, or a local phenomenon that only works for them.

We're also looking for key characters for the crew. Such as a captain, possibly an expedition leader and second, alt. council members. We don't want too many people in charge, however, that would keep a focus only on the bigger issues while overlooking the daily detail.

Helmut Todstern
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Helmut Todstern » 2010-08-03 09:13

I probably will submit my "fan fiction" stories for potential usage in ICE; the Force does play a major part in how it runs, but basically it's Masters of Light vs Masters of Darkness, but I'll get into more once I can submit it. :P

As for officials...can we call who gets to be what currently? *points to self* I can make an expedition leader, I think. :)

"Never stop fighting. You'll never get what you want if you don't."

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2010-08-03 09:19

Helmut Todstern wrote:As for officials...can we call who gets to be what currently? *points to self* I can make an expedition leader, I think. :)
It's a little too early to be specific about who gets what. Right now I'm noting interested parties such as yourself. You aren't limited to using that one character, of course.

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator
Custom Title: Politician
Organizational Unit: Rebel Alliance Political Party

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2010-08-03 13:52

Well, I am certainly interested in all this and have been for a while, ever since I heard talk about it. I would probably aim for a position as an official of some sort, perhaps on a council that determines what we do with natives, resources etc., as we encounter them.

Thrakis Gregory
Traitor
Traitor
Custom Title: Renegade Radical Rabble-Rousing Revolutionary
Organizational Unit: Null

Post by Thrakis Gregory » 2010-08-03 14:12

I also will jump in here, I think. Seems like some good roleplaying in a more tight-knit setting.

Kallila Tsarati
Traitor
Traitor
Custom Title: Returned
Organizational Unit: Free

Post by Kallila Tsarati » 2010-08-03 20:02

I will put myself up as a Captain, or Commander or whatever rank would be in charge of this. But I may just rescind that request if someone else wants the job. I have more interest in other aspects of this.

As for a first story, the idea I want to propose involves locating a huge derelict ship that is obviously not standard SW tech. There are no life signs, but the technology suggests that the ship was built and crewed by an unknown and non-humanoid species. The rest I'll send to Ace via PM, but there will of course be lots of things to do for any kind of character you can think of, and plenty of action to boot. But for now, no spoilers for you!

Jericho Winters
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jericho Winters » 2010-08-03 20:50

I know I'm going to be throwing in my pilot to represent the pilot corps- hence why I decided to make them like 'doctors' with guns- both capable of surveying things scientifically and defending the fleet when needed.

Anyways- that's where I'm throwing my hat towards- the pilot corps positions.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2010-08-03 21:44

Mai's idea is rather neat, insofar that it's a short story that may serve well as a primer lead-up before embarking on a decided storyline. Still, I'm going to leave it up to you guys what you want to do. Of course, we're going to need more submissions before having anything to vote on.

Currently I'm leaning towards not assigning any captain, leaving it a blank. The purpose for this is to allow growth for a naval character to eventually fill this role. ICE will have more ships than the mothership before long (even starting out with a few assuming Viktor found a way to finish them during C1M30), which will allow navy characters to develop their own commands.

I'm going to need a high ranking political expedition leader however (I will assign you), and possibly several council members in an advisory staff. So far I have two clear candidates for the leader role, Helmut (you know who he is right?) and Mai. It sounds like Jubar is more interested in a council position rather than actual leadership, correct me if I'm wrong.

Jubar Bavvet
Senator
Senator
Custom Title: Politician
Organizational Unit: Rebel Alliance Political Party

Post by Jubar Bavvet » 2010-08-03 22:47

Well, I assumed it would be leadership in a sense, as part of the governing body of this mobile research fleet, but it doesn't have to be. I didn't know if those positions (such as captain or commander) had been "called" yet, so I went with the safe request to avoid conflict--I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary at NIF, so I don't know how many people might have been waiting for this opportunity. If we need leadership, I can do it. Or, I can help Mai in an assisant's capacity. I have a few story ideas of my own, and I can submit them if we need material to vote on or cycle through as the story progresses. I'll begin a workup.

Jericho Winters
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Jericho Winters » 2010-08-03 23:45

would whatever head of the pilot corps serve as an advisory position to this commander or captain?

Just asking, as for current ideas being spouted around Mai's idea sounds a lot like the encounter with "Ship" the skywalkers had. It would be kind of interesting to pillage and ransack a living ships' memory or just a mechanical one too ;) In short- I like it.

Crystala Endivain
Grand Inquisitor
Grand Inquisitor
Custom Title: Director-General & Dark Jedi Archon
Organizational Unit: ISIS (in its entirety)

Post by Crystala Endivain » 2010-08-04 04:11

I guess it should come as no surprise that I'm probably going to toss a character into this?

I've got an ISIS char in the works with more of an IntOrg flair since, let's face it, the task force is going to have a lot more to be concerned about from covert threats within than being able to actually send agents into the great black yonder for advance intel. That isn't to say the ISS will be completely useless though, just facing a much more limited capacity as opposed to those in the rest of the known galaxy.

Just to get it out of the way as well, I've no intention of leading this expedition. If you want advice, well, I'm sure the ISIS will be glad to provide it, but I'm sure whoever does choose to lead this group will do a fine job!
"Dagger of the ISIS? No, I am the hand that wields it!" - Director-General Endivain
"The quickest way to find the needle, burn the haystack!"

Dravius Stari
Marshal
Marshal
Custom Title: Director of Imperial Space Force Operations

Post by Dravius Stari » 2010-08-04 12:43

Jericho Winters wrote:would whatever head of the pilot corps serve as an advisory position to this commander or captain?
I'd be curious to see the answer on this, given within regular space this is not so clearly defined.

I was hesitant in terms of locking down a character with ICE, but i am warming to the idea as we flesh out elements of the story. I would submit my name for consideration for any and all positions open :) [Noting that Drav would remain within normal space!]

Kane
Emperor
Emperor

Post by Kane » 2010-08-05 04:04

It hasn't been mentioned publicly yet, but I'm going to establish it without any doubt and might just as well bring it up now during the planning phase.

Alien technologies (or 'powers') will fall under one of two categories. They're comparatively primitive, or they're unusable. The only third option is technologies that compares to ours but works under different principles, which makes them a curiosity at best.

The purpose of this rule is to avoid contamination of the main NIF storyline. With very few exceptions, what goes on within ICE, stays frozen.

In addition, I'm going to provide the expedition leader with certain guidelines. They'll cover expedition priorities and some optional possibilities.

Tavish McFini
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral
Custom Title: Fleet Commander, Self-Proclaimed Bartender, Baron
Organizational Unit: Third Fleet, Task Force Conquest, ESD Intimidator

Post by Tavish McFini » 2010-08-08 03:03

Well, I've pretty much finished the character but now I have a few other questions:

1) I saw the "fleet" in the IRM but, is the Momma Devastator going to be the main flagship to ICE like the Nemesis is to the NIF?

2) Since what happens in ICE stays in ICE, I'm wondering if there'll be an "ICE Lounge" and "ICE Training Centre" or will we use the normal Lounge and Training Center forums?

3) Will the Emperor be giving a speech to the masses wishing the Dark Side be with them? ;)
- Admiral McFini and Ensign Hales discovered why Executor-class Star Destroyers seldom ram anything.

Xanis Sorannan
Vice-Admiral
Vice-Admiral
Custom Title: Third Fleet Executive Officer
Organizational Unit: NIF Third Fleet - NSD Lusankya

Post by Xanis Sorannan » 2010-08-08 08:43

In seeing this I immediately thought of Stargate Universe specifically, and then Stargate Atlantis shortly after that. In other words...EPIC.

Yes...I'm a nerd.

In any case, as it is quite obvious that the expedition will quite likely never be returning to this galaxy and the NIF as a whole, is it to be expected that they will have some form of communication back to IMEXCO, or will we be all alone out there?

Since the expedition is (In my current perception) going to be a diplomatic / scientific mission, can we expect a significant number of civvies to be along for the ride?

And then of course, as has been noted, personnel who are going with ICE are likely never coming back, but would there be any sort of supply line for personnel and equipment to be sent out, or would we have to clone new personnel on the MWD to staff new ships we build / colonies we plant?