Sexy Jedi

Discuss topics relating to the Star Wars Universe.
jacenwesiri
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander
Custom Title: Sith Sorcerer, Supreme Commander, something else

Sexy Jedi

Post by jacenwesiri » 2016-02-28 21:17

Sexy Jedi - but why aren't they sexier?

An interesting discussion on Star Wars regarding the Jedi from the perspective of evolution. Any thoughts on the matter?
"Don't worry guys, it's cool. We've got this, I'm Master Yi!" -- a questionable Yi player, who ended the game 2-16. We lost.

Kane
Emperor
Emperor
Custom Title: Sith Apprentice
Organizational Unit: First Fleet NIFSS Nemesis

Re: Sexy Jedi

Post by Kane » 2016-02-29 00:34

Judge me by my size, do you? Size matters not.

Essentially, being strong in the Force is a very potent evolutionary trait... but as Lindybeige suggests, it's not solely beneficial. It makes you as much of a target as it makes you superior, which basically evens it out. Some of the few who are strong in the Force inevitably go on and try to impose their will on the muggles and come into direct conflict with those strong in the Force who would stand up for the muggles.

It's also a question of how long evolution has had to work with this trait. Suppose that it has been around for as long as living beings have, but then comes the fact that it's a very rare trait. It would actually have more chance of spreading before galactic trade became commonplace, since then you'd have all potential couplings stuck on the same planet. Now they could be anywhere... the Skywalker family stands out exactly because they have established this trait among themselves, and there's only so many of them.

Plus the Jedi Order actively worked against genetic refinement for 10 000 years by not having families as a rule, of course. I suppose they simply feared the Dark side a lot more than being weak since they were already genetically superior to the muggles. Ironically, that same policy may have prevented Dark side resistance from being built up just as much as it has prevented an inbreeding genetic elite (presumably, guided genetic planning might have counteracted the downsides of inbreeding, and they may have been many enough to avoid it just from sheer numbers).