NIF Slack?

This forum is open to any topic of discussion, including ads (but not spam).

Moderator: Academy Instructor

Rann Gast
Commander
Commander
Custom Title: CO, Task Force Justice, Fourth Fleet
Organizational Unit: NIFSD Apocalypse, Task Force Justice, Fourth Fleet

NIF Slack?

Post by Rann Gast » 2016-06-17 17:40

Hey guys, so I figured I'd pop in and float a suggestion by you all.

For years (at least as far back since I joined in 2004), we've used IRC for chat. It was very useful when we had everybody and their brother on every night and it was hard to keep up with the conversation. As time has gone on, though, and people have started Real Life(tm), fewer and fewer people have been online at the same time. Sure, there are some clunky IRC apps out their for android and iphone, but they're time consuming to set up and in my experience are very finicky.

Slack solves some of these problems. First off, the chat log is persistent. If persons A and B are chatting about something and person C jumps in, they can just scroll up to see what they missed. It'll even draw a line to show you where new messages begin. Need to have a side conversation with someone? Create a private conversation with them similar to IRC; you can even have private conversations with multiple people (these private conversations are called Direct Messages). Maybe we want a separate channel for tags so that it's not cluttering up the main chat. You can create a channel where you can say: "Tag @Fini in CM1" and actually flag that person. Then Fini would get a notification on his client (desktop, web, app) and immediately be able to see it. Another benefit is that we wouldn't have to constantly reregister a channel after it's stayed dormant for a period of time.

The only downside I've seen with it is that in order to join a server, or "team", you need to be approved. But, that's really more of a hiccup than anything. Only a slightly goofier level, it doesn't seem to be possible to change your name, so unfortunately, we wouldn't be seeing "Laurel|Cats" in chat, though she could, say, mark herself "away"

I play EVE: Online and most player groups have a slack server, and there's even a meta server called "tweetfleet". It's been a massive boon to the community. Likewise, a lot of businesses are beginning to implement it for communication on projects.

I'd be happy to set up a server if you guys want to give it a go. Let me know what you think.

Abraxes Rancor
Lieutenant-Commander
Lieutenant-Commander
Organizational Unit: Executive Officer of TFJ, Fourth Fleet.

Re: NIF Slack?

Post by Abraxes Rancor » 2016-06-17 23:14

Interesting idea. I still check the site once a day and... It sucks posting alone.

I intend to put some time during summer vacation to transcribe a few threads to the pc as right now all my old ideas are notebook written.

Kurge
Freelancer
Custom Title: Employee of Luciana Endivain
Organizational Unit: SIN

Post by Kurge » 2016-06-19 00:11

Hey guys, so I figured I'd pop in and float a suggestion by you all.

For years (at least as far back since I joined in 2004), we've used IRC for chat. It was very useful when we had everybody and their brother on every night and it was hard to keep up with the conversation. As time has gone on, though, and people have started Real Life(tm), fewer and fewer people have been online at the same time. Sure, there are some clunky IRC apps out their for android and iphone, but they're time consuming to set up and in my experience are very finicky.

Slack solves some of these problems. First off, the chat log is persistent. If persons A and B are chatting about something and person C jumps in, they can just scroll up to see what they missed. It'll even draw a line to show you where new messages begin. Need to have a side conversation with someone? Create a private conversation with them similar to IRC; you can even have private conversations with multiple people (these private conversations are called Direct Messages). Maybe we want a separate channel for tags so that it's not cluttering up the main chat. You can create a channel where you can say: "Tag @Fini in CM1" and actually flag that person. Then Fini would get a notification on his client (desktop, web, app) and immediately be able to see it. Another benefit is that we wouldn't have to constantly reregister a channel after it's stayed dormant for a period of time.

The only downside I've seen with it is that in order to join a server, or "team", you need to be approved. But, that's really more of a hiccup than anything. Only a slightly goofier level, it doesn't seem to be possible to change your name, so unfortunately, we wouldn't be seeing "Laurel|Cats" in chat, though she could, say, mark herself "away"

I play EVE: Online and most player groups have a slack server, and there's even a meta server called "tweetfleet". It's been a massive boon to the community. Likewise, a lot of businesses are beginning to implement it for communication on projects.

I'd be happy to set up a server if you guys want to give it a go. Let me know what you think.
That is not a bad idea at all. I play Eve Online as well and we use a TS3 server. Though I play other games that make use of softwares such as Discord. That is a good idea and to be honest I also agree it is somewhat discouraging to feel as if writing alone. I am well aware that most all of us have grown up some and things/life are a lot busier. That said, I think we can work around it if our communication methods are more efficient. I miss the IRC chat! After looking into it a lot of the apps for it are a finicky or have other issues.

This is well worth looking into. I will keep looking into possible options.

jacenwesiri
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander
Custom Title: Sith Sorcerer, Supreme Commander, something else

Post by jacenwesiri » 2016-07-24 02:38

Hey Rann,

It's been, what, a month since you posted. Anyways, I would be willing to try it at least.

I used to play EVE, back before I picked up SC2 as something to do back when I used to play WoW, in the doldrums while waiting for content patches. I used to also play WoW and SC2 too. Maybe it'd be worth playing that again. ;)

It's nice seeing that at least a few people still occasionally frequent the site. Maybe I should try posting something. ;)
"Don't worry guys, it's cool. We've got this, I'm Master Yi!" -- a questionable Yi player, who ended the game 2-16. We lost.

Kurge
Freelancer

Post by Kurge » 2016-08-14 16:26

jacenwesiri wrote:Hey Rann,

It's been, what, a month since you posted. Anyways, I would be willing to try it at least.

I used to play EVE, back before I picked up SC2 as something to do back when I used to play WoW, in the doldrums while waiting for content patches. I used to also play WoW and SC2 too. Maybe it'd be worth playing that again. ;)

It's nice seeing that at least a few people still occasionally frequent the site. Maybe I should try posting something. ;)
Yea that would be great! I think most of it is that things for everyone has gotten more complicated and time consuming. I don't know for anyone in particular but definitely life has gotten really complicated

Rann Gast
Commander
Commander

Post by Rann Gast » 2016-08-21 18:49

Sorry for the slow response. I didn't see any notifications hit my inbox. Might have gotten caught in my spam filer or something. Sounds like there's some interest, so I'm going to set a slack server up today.

I'll let you guys know when it's live.

Rann Gast
Commander
Commander

Post by Rann Gast » 2016-08-21 19:30

Okay, guys, we officially have a slack!

It's very rudimentary right now, just two channels, but we can create them as we need them. What I need from you guys is to fill out this Google form so that I can add you. https://goo.gl/forms/SmowKFMjDToixNNs2. There's no way to just join like IRC unless we all have @nif.com emails or some such thing.

I'm going to keep tinkering with this more throughout the day, so feel free to hit me up.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Kurge
Freelancer

Post by Kurge » 2019-01-13 21:47

Rann,

I did a Discord too for the group. Here is the details:

https://discord.gg/4WCzrAt